Social distancing signs (floor decals, chair signs, vinyl banners, or wall graphics) are already part of our daily routines here in Los Angeles and all over the world.
As a leading company in large format printing and digital printing, at CR&A Custom we have firsthand knowledge of the important role that visual communication plays in mitigating the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
That’s why today we would like to talk about the factors that go into creating effective social distancing signage.
From the visual principles to use to the way your signage strategy links to your general COVID-19 mitigation strategy, these are the guidelines to keep in mind to create clear and informative social distancing signs.
The importance of social distancing
Before we delve into the details of signs and signage, we would like to underscore the importance of social distancing.
Maintaining social distance is one of the most effective measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. As you may know, transmission of the virus occurs mainly through infected respiratory droplets. Keeping a distance of at least six feet between people helps avoid contact with these agents, breaking the chain of transmission.
Social distancing is a public behavior, a certain set of actions that people must learn to keep in mind. And from signboards in Ancient Rome to today’s storefront signs, signage has a proven track record in effectively influencing human behavior.
Ensure Readability and Legibility in Social Distancing Signs
Readability and legibility are key factors to consider when you choose a design for your social distancing graphics. While the terms may seem similar, they refer to two separate aspects of social distancing signage.
- Readability: This is how easily the users can understand the text (or copy) of your signs. To make your signage more readable, use common words and simple sentences. Also, make sure to proofread all your signs, no matter how brief the text is.
- Legibility: This refers to how easily the users can recognize the individual letters (or numbers) in your sign. The best way to ensure that your signs are legible is by choosing an easy-to-read font in a color that contrasts clearly with the background.
As hinted above, contrast is a basic design concept that refers to the color scheme of your signs. Traffic signs are a common example of signage with good contrast: black figures and letters on a yellow background. Clear contrast helps catch the attention of users and makes your signs more legible as well.
The combination of dark characters on a bright background is the most effective form of contrast (think of the black letters on the white pages of a book). But designers may also invert this order and have bright characters on dark backgrounds if they want to create a different visual effect for branding reasons.
Choose Digital Printing for Your Social Distancing Signs
Digital printing is the ideal response to the challenges of COVID-19 signage. This printing method offers many unique advantages:
- Durable: Whether you need floor graphics on high-traffic areas or vinyl banners to be placed outdoors, vinyl signs can withstand the grind of extreme conditions.
- Versatile: Digital printing allows you to take advantage of almost any surface to place signs that convey crucial information when your clients and employees need it most.
- Safe: With CR&A’s water-based digital printing technology, you can create signs for all kinds of environments, including hospitals and schools, with the added advantage that digitally printed signs are easy to clean and sanitize.
- Fast and cost-effective: Digital printing offers fast turnaround times at affordable prices, allowing your business to adapt quickly to any change in regulations regarding social distancing or COVID-19 risk mitigation.
As the leading digital printing company in Los Angeles, CR&A offers a unique combination of expertise and technology to deliver the best results in social distancing signage and all types of signs.
Create a Comprehensive Strategy
In order to reopen your business safely, you must implement a strategy that complements social distancing signs with other measures.
With these needs in mind, we have created a full range of COVID-19 Solutions. These products are designed to cover every angle of your mitigation strategy, allowing you to create a combination that meets the specific needs of your business.
- SaniTouch: Antimicrobial, translucent copper film you can apply on high-touch surfaces (counters, elevator buttons, door handles) to kill bacteria and viruses using the self-sanitizing properties of copper.
- Social Distancing Floor Graphics: Also known as floor decals, these vinyl signs are placed on the floor to give clients and workers an easy reference that helps them maintain a safe distance of at least six feet.
- Sneeze Guards: Clear acrylic dividers that protect employees and customers from respiratory droplets during in-person interactions.
- Chair Tents: Seat markers that help ensure social distancing in seated waiting areas in places such as pharmacies, train stations, bus stations, and other settings.
- Yard signs: These lawn decorations are keeping communities together by allowing people to share their joy and boost morale without breaking social distancing rules.
Visit our dedicated page to learn more about the features and specifications of each of our COVID-19 Solutions.
CR&A, the Best Option in Social Distancing Signs
When it comes to COVID-19 graphics or social distancing signs in Los Angeles, California, or anywhere around the world, CR&A Custom is the best option.
We specialize in providing large format and digital printing solutions for a global customer base. Get a quote online or contact us today by email (email@example.com), telephone (213-749-4440), or through our social media accounts on Facebook and Instagram.